Friday, September 27, 2013

Palas De Rei to Melide

Monday, September 23   
I did not sleep well. Pat said it was because we were at the busiest corner of Palas De Rei.  All night there was a Camino of cars, trucks and motorcycles rumbling through the main city street, down the hill and around the corner past our Abergue.  The roar of their engines reverberated through the open windows of our room on the third floor. For me, it was like spending the night on the berm of I-75. 

We were on the trail by 7:15am, headed for the town of Melide   It wasn't as dark as prior days, as a full moon helped light our way.  With the morning rush out of town, the trail was loaded with pilgrims.  At times I counted three dozen in my sight.  After a couple hours of easy walking we stopped at a trail side coffee bar for our morning break. The coffee americano was strong and hot.  When we departed the cafe, Pat and I pulled ahead of Mike.  We each walk different speeds, at different times, so this was not atypical.  The unsaid rule is at some point, the person ahead will stop and wait for the others to catch up.  As we walked, Pat and I passed a picturesque village church  where groups of pilgrims were congregated outside.  We decided to stop and entered the small church where a priest was stamping  credencial del peregrinos.  The priest stamped our credentials and I took a few pictures and we moved on.  When we reached the 55.5 km point monument Pat and I stopped for another photo.  This marked the half way point of our Camino.

Pablo, Pat & Michael
Pat and I reached Melide, our destination for the day just after noon.  Mike was nowhere in sight.  After thinking about it, we deduced that Mike thought he was behind us and expected us to stop and wait for him at a point along the way.  However, because we stopped at the village church, Mike was actually in front of us.  As we walked through the streets of Melide searching for Mike, out of a shop walked Michael, Maria and Pablo.  We hadn't seen them for a few days and  because of our itinerary, we were surprised to see them again.  Michael was distinctively dressed in a non matching patterned shirt and shorts accented with bright orange knee socks.  A slender man with a beard, he appeared today as if he was a left over from the 1960's.  Michael smiled when I told him that he would win the contest for most stylish pilgrim on the Camino.  We explained to Pablo that Mike was AOL and he said they would watch for him.  After snapping some photos, we said our goodbyes. 
How are we going to find Mike, Pat and I pondered? Pat decided to phone him and dug into his mochilla for his phone and Mike's cell number.  Mike answered directly when Pat asked, "Where are you?"  "I'm in Melide with Pablo, Michael and Marie, he replied.  As I looked up the street, I could see Michael standing a couple blocks ahead.  Pat and I joined the group and had an encore goodbye with the mother, father and son from Seville.   

We checked in early at the albergue O' Palpador, where we were the newest occupants of the room on the second floor.  The room contained twelve beds in an area about the size of the family room at home.  We were happy, as each of us had our pick of bottom bunks.   After getting situated, we returned to the city center in search of a cafe  for lunch. It was an extended lunch at a sidewalk cafe.  I ordered a large salad and paired it with two bottles of Estrella Galicia.  The cool breeze was relaxing as we sat watching the world go by around us.
When we returned to the Albergue a number of beds were now occupied.  On the bunk above mine, I noticed a plastic mask with tubing extending from it.  I hoped it didn't mean I was to be sleeping to sounds of an iron lung.  Our room mates included some young Italians, including three college aged girls.  The cute Itialan girl in the bunk above Pat shared that she was on the Camino in part because of boyfriend issues and also from rejection to a college medical program she had aspired for.  As it ended up, our quarters seemed like a coed college dorm room that included three old guys; Pat, Mike and me.

We left the Albergue seeking a restaurant for our evening meal.  We stopped at a restaurant down the lane and as we pondered whether or not to eat there, in walked Noni, whom we met on our first morning in Sarria. We were surprised to see her, as most of the pilgrims walking on our schedule had moved to towns further along.  Noni accepted our dinner invite and we had a nice time together. Noni is a young 75 year old and is a professional masseuse.  She resides in Bondai Beach, just outside of Sydney, Australia.  It was a treat to learn more about her and her travels.  She's especially fascinating to me, as she has travelled all over the world.  A few years back she won an award as the most active senior in Australia.  In our short time together we learned just a sliver about her.  She has a blog and I hope to learn more.  For dinner Noni and I had the octopus or pulpa as it is known in Spain. It's a specialty of region and the town of Melide.  The pulpa was slightly greasy, but well seasoned and flavorful.  The taste and texture reminded me of scallops.
We were all back to the albergue sometime after 9pm and I took a quick shower.  Shortly thereafter the youngsters returned and by 10pm all twelve beds in our room were filled and it was lights out.  I awoke abruptly sometime after 3am. The room was dark and my bed was shaking like I was a part of the movie "The Exorcist."  The metal bed frame was shuttering and the bedsprings were making a loud creaking noise.  Momentarily, I concluded the man above me was having some kind of episode, but it turned out, he was just debunking.  He finished his climb down and the commotion stopped. Laying there, I became aware that my stomach was quesy.  I could hear the pulpa stirring within me.  As I wondered what to do next, I listened to the sounds of continuous snoring in the background.  They were low and guttural, with a peaceful cadence and a certain harmony and rhythmic quality.  As I listened  closely, I determined that Mike in the bed in front of me and Pat, in the bed behind me, were leading the chorus. Otherwise, the room was quiet as a church mouse.  
The bathroom attached to our room contained two small porcelain sinks spaced about six inches apart. Partition walls surrounded a single toilet and a shower area.  Any sound in the bathroom could be clearly heard in the sleeping room.  I decided to ignore the churning of my stomach and soon fell back asleep.  Sometime later I awoke briefly to an Italian voice murmuring through in darkness.  It was the young girl in the bunk above Pat, talking in her sleep.  I conjectured that she was talking to her boyfriend in her dreams.  Who knows?